Friday, October 21, 2005

An Amazing Read!

Oh this book. this book.


Sigh. Where to start with this book. Where to start. I have never read an Oprah book and really never felt sucked in by her whole book club thing. But when she switched from classics to a gritty book about addiction and recovery I just had this feeling I had to read it. There are things I have yet to blog about or scrap. I don't know if I am ready yet. But we have had addiction close to our life in this last year. And not mild addiction but the kind that shatters your life and rips your heart out. Well my good Mom came home with the book for me. I was a bit nervous as I started the book. It begins with him waking up on an airplane with his face smashed and no idea how he got there or where he was going. He goes from there to rehab where Frey recounts his experiences there. His writing style is so different that at first you think of putting the book down. But the more you read it, the more his style becomes addicting and fluid. As someone who tries to never swear anymore, his honest use of some harsh language, MF and F words, etc. was hard at first, but the brutal honesty of this man let me move past it and enjoy his words and feel. I laughed out loud. I cried. I was torn inside and gained insight into both hardcore addiction and recovery in a way that I personally really really needed. This man and his experience was so familiar it could have been written by my husband. Aside from the language, I think that everyone should read this book. Not once is addiction glorified in the way that drug use so often is. An addict isn't concerned about the great "high" of drugs but the addiction. Feeding it. Fueling it. Frey explains this in a way that well both moved me and made me sick at the same time. Even being halfway through the book I would never guess that I would just LOVE this book the way I feel I do. It kept me up at night. Almost until morning every night until it was done. When it was done in tears I wasn't sure what I would do now without it to read. That is a good book. I ran off and got the next book My Friend Leonard. I don't begin to think I have done this book any justice whatsoever but...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home